Job Title: Camp Counselor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Hours: Temporary Part-Time or Full Time
A camp counselor is enthusiastic, encouraging, and patient. Camp counselors supervise and instruct campers entering grades 1-8 in week-long camp sessions where campers will learn the fundamentals of climbing and deepen their problem-solving, teamwork, and social skills. Throughout the camp sessions, Camp Counselors will lead instructional climbing lessons and team building activities as well as belay and support campers during their climbing and choice time. Every Camp Counselor is a people-person – they can meet kids where they are and support both their climbing and personal growth. Camp Counselors are responsible for their campers’ positive experience and well-being throughout the camp sessions.
- Engage campers entering grades 1-8 in interactive activities including but not limited to climbing lessons, arts & crafts, team building games, field trips, and outdoor stewardship workshops
- Belay campers when conducting activities utilizing roped climbing walls
- Lead groups of campers in activities with a positive, fun, and outgoing attitude while acting as a good role model
- Cooperate and communicate with co-counselors, other Shaker Rocks staff, and families of campers to ensure safety and smooth logistical flow of camp sessions
- Maintain a tidy and clean camp space to ensure safety
- Help shape the Shaker Rocks community culture
- Display a conscientious work ethic with strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative spirit
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to onsight 5.8
- Shaker Rocks belay certification
- Experience working with children
- 3 years of climbing experience
- Ability to onsight 5.10
- Prior camp counselor experience or experience directly supervising groups of children
- Infant/Child CPR/AED certification
Facility Environment and Physical Demands
- While performing the essential responsibilities of this job, the employee will be regularly required to ascend/descend climbing walls; sit in a harness; stoop, kneel, and crouch; walk up and down stairs; walk and stand on hard and soft and even and uneven surfaces; use both hands at the same time; reach overhead with arms; grip with hands; talk, yell, and hear; use a computer and other office equipment such as a copier; use climbing equipment including but not limited to ropes, harnesses, quickdraw, belay devices and carabiners.
- The employee will regularly be required to lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds, and occasionally to lift and/or carry between 25 and 100 pounds.
- The employee will regularly be exposed to chalk and other airborne particles, loud noise, falling objects, and trip hazards.
- Competitive wages
- Professional development opportunities
- Shaker Rocks membership
- Pro Shop discounts