Job Title: Route Setter
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
*Routesetting at Shaker Rocks is primarily in the morning/afternoon, and setters work 2-3 shifts per week, on average
Route setters will work as a team to create the product that visitors come for – the climbing. They will develop routes/problems for a variety of abilities and respond to the needs of the gym and its customers, making sure that there is something for everyone while always keeping things interesting.
- Collaborate with route setting team to develop and set sport and bouldering routes/problems throughout the gym as directed by the Head Route Setter
- Set and forerun for classes, competitions, and other events
- Meet and uphold safety and risk management policies and standards
- Meet stripping, washing, and setting goals according to schedule
- Perform hold, wall and setting maintenance and repairs as necessary
- Perform weekly safety inspections and maintain safety logs
- Accept guidance and feedback from Head Route Setter and others
- Help shape the Shaker Rocks community culture
- Display professionalism, a conscientious work ethic, a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills with a collaborative spirit
- Other duties as assigned
- Lead climbing and belaying competency
- 2+ years consistent climbing experience
- Ability to climb V5 & 5.12
- Some commercial setting experience
- Outdoor climbing experience
- Strong teamwork skills
- Experience using power tools, ladders & safety equipment
- Skills & knowledge of anchor and rope systems
- Level 1 USAC certification
- CWI certification through CWA or AMGA
- USAC Competition setting experience
- OSHA Compliant Work-at-Height training
Facility Environment and Physical Demands
- While performing the essential responsibilities of this job, the employee will be regularly required to ascend/descend climbing walls and ladders; sit in a harness; stoop, kneel and crouch; walk up and down stairs; walk and stand on hard and soft and even and uneven surfaces; use both hands at the same time; reach overhead with arms; grip with hands; talk, yell and hear; use a computer and other office equipment such as a copier; use equipment and machinery including but not limited to wrenches and drills; use climbing equipment including but not limited to ropes, harnesses, quickdraw, belay devices and carabiners.
- The employee will regularly be required to lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds, and occasionally to lift and/or carry between 50 and 100 pounds.
- The employee will regularly be exposed to chalk and other airborne particles, water, loud noise, falling objects, and trip hazards.
- Professional development opportunities
- Health insurance if eligible
- Shaker Rocks membership if eligible
- Pro-shop discounts
- Competitive wages
Governor DeWine has mandated the use of face masks at all times in public. Effective 7/8 at 6:00pm.