Job Title: Climbing Instructor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
A climbing instructor is knowledgeable, friendly, and encouraging. A climbing instructor teaches groups of kids, adults, and everyone in between in proper belay practices, risk management, and climbing technique. Every climbing instructor is a people-person—they know how to meet people where they are and help them grow in their climbing confidence and competence. Instructors will lead Intro to Belay, Intro to Movement, Intro to
Beta, and Lead Climbing classes, as well as instruct and support summer camps, school and
other groups, and Scouts.
- Instruct climbing classes, including Intro to Belay, Intro to Movement, Intro to Beta, and Lead Climbing
- Conduct belay checks and evaluate visitors’ belaying competency to certify/not certify them to belay at Shaker Rocks
- Instruct visitors on proper safety protocols for climbing
- Belay visitors during school field trips, parties, and other events
- Lead Scout climbing merit badge curriculum for Scout groups
- Assist other staff with front desk work, facility maintenance, and equipment maintenance
- Help shape the Shaker Rocks community culture
- Display a conscientious work ethic with strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative spirit
- Other duties as assigned
- 3 years of climbing experience
- Ability to on-sight 5.11
- Some teaching, education, or leadership experience
Facility Environment and Physical Demands
- While performing the essential responsibilities of this job, the employee will be regularly required to ascend/descend climbing walls; sit in a harness; stoop, kneel, and crouch; walk up and down stairs; walk and stand on hard and soft and even and uneven surfaces; use both hands at the same time; reach overhead with arms; grip with hands; talk, yell, and hear; use a computer and other office equipment such as a copier; use climbing equipment including but not limited to ropes, harnesses, quickdraws, belay devices and carabiners.
- The employee will regularly be required to lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds, and occasionally to lift and/or carry between 25 and 100 pounds.
- The employee will regularly be exposed to chalk and other airborne particles, loud noise, falling objects, and trip hazards
- Competitive wages
- Professional development opportunities
- Health insurance if eligible
- Shaker Rocks membership if eligible
- Pro-shop discounts
Governor DeWine has mandated the use of face masks at all times in public. Effective 7/8 at 6:00pm.